Life

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Ouch.

The tournement went really well today, I'm happy with the results (ish).

I competed in two event's, Patterns and Sparring.

Patterns. I did Kwang-Gae really well. theres about six moves in the pattern that are done in slow motion, that includes forcing your foot to slide across the ground in slow motion, this is very hard on a rubber/foam mat in bare feet. but it went REALLY well. Then the judges pick a random pattern from a bag and we perform that pattern. They picked Hwa-Rang. it's the pattern you learn at red belt to test for black stripe. Again I was doing very well. I KNOW I was better than my opponent, but... here comes the embarassing part. I forgot the second half of the pattern. I'm not too stressed about it though. I learned Kwang-Gae in two weeks, and ive only been back at TKD for about 3-4 months now? I wasnt expecting much from patterns but it just sucks because I know I was better than the other guy.

Sparring. Sparring was special... I need to explain something about Blackbelt competition. Black belt rank doesnt matter. a 3rd dan and a 4th dan will spar eachother in competition, so will a 1st dan and a 4th dan, it makes no difference. now this makes it harder for the 1st dan because the 4th has a lot more experience.

My sparring went well consittering. One of the competetors decided not to show up until the entire competition was almost half finished. so my devision (Men's 18-35 Light weight) was merged with the Men's 18-35 heavy weight. so that meant that I would be sparring a 3rd dan and a 4th dan (both of which are on the Canadian National Team for the West Coast i think). These guys were good. Easily out scoring their first 2 opponents each. then it was my turn to spar and just by the way the matches worked out I had to spar this little asian 4th dan black belt. First thing he did when the match started was knock the wind out of me. then I was mad. we traded some good hits and I held my ground well maintaining the centre of the ring for most of the match but in the end I lost by 1-2 points. the 4th dan went on to get 2nd place and I got a bronze medal at my first tourney in over 6 years.

so yea patterns sucked I was so pissed off at myself. So I took it out on the guy in sparring but it wasn't quite enough. Oh also Somehow I dont remember how my foot got injured and I can barely walk on it. Dont know how that happened but I do know that the adrenaline in my body didnt let me feel it until about 20 minutes after the matches. and now it hurts like a son of a bitch just sitting there and not moving.

but yea I'm dissapointed in myself I know I could have done better but seeing as this was my first tourney I think I did well. Now its time to decide if I want to go to montreal for the canadian championships. We'll see.

2 Comments:

  • it sounds like you did awesome. Congrats. You've only been back into doing it for a few months, and I can't believe all the stuff that you've done already!

    By Blogger JJ, at Tue May 09, 12:45:00 a.m.  

  • Nice Phil, still wish I coulda been there to watch.....damit. Anyway congrads. And I hope the foot isnt to bad. Missed you on late night though, I was like fucking sweet working with Phil and then it was like dam....not working with Phil lol. Anywho, should hook up fo some coffee some time this week I dont work till sat.
    Later.

    By Blogger Ink Monkey, at Tue May 09, 03:08:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home